A recent forum thread 'Windows 10 Retrieving Extended File Properties' raised issues about using the GetDetailsOf method to retrieve extended file properties (attributes).
GetDetailsOf is a member of the VBA library 'Microsoft Shell Controls and Automation' based on Shell32.dll.
All files include several extended properties which can be retrieved as needed using this method.
• Date created / date modified / date last accessed
• File size / file type / author / location
Certain types of file will also contain additional extended properties including:
• Height / width / horizontal resolution / vertical resolution / bit size (image files)
• Contributing artist / album / year / genre / tile / track # / length / bit rate (audio files)
There are currently 320 extended properties though no files will ever use all of those.
I decided to investigate this method further and have created a database which provides an easy way of obtaining and storing all the extended properties for an individual file or all files of a specified type in a selected folder.
The zip file contains the database FileAttributes.accdb, a PDF file with full details and screenshots as well as several other text files with examples of the extended properties (attributes) obtained for different types of file
The database includes the VBA reference library 'Microsoft Shell Controls and Automation'
NOTE: it also includes an example of a dynamic crosstab query where the column headers are automatically updated to match the underlying data
Click to download: Extended File Properties v2.2 (zipped)
Click any image to view a larger version ...
v2.0 18/03/2019 Initial release
v2.1 19/10/2019 Bug fixes mainly related to handling apostrophes
v2.2 02/09/2021 Updated to handle 320 extended file properties
1. Wayne Phillips from EverythingAccess.com uses a different approach to obtain
extended file properties. Wayne's utility can be found at:
Accessing detailed file info provided by the operating system
2. Crystal Long (Access MVP) and I ran a joint session for the US Pacific Access
User Group on 2 Sept 2021 comparing these two different methods of obtaining
extended file properties. The video is available on You Tube at:
3. I also have a separate video on this topic which is available on my
Isladogs YouTube channel at: